For a complete listing of
local events, check out the
a weekly newsletter featuring
news & events in the Valley.
Denali 20000' 5 Summit Challenge - August 16, 2013 - August 18, 2013
Within the Valley that surrounds Waterville Valley exist a number of New England’s highest peaks. The Denali Challenge will be to hike the two Osceola peaks, Tecumseh, Welch and Dickey Mountains – all in Waterville Valley. The altitude of these five peaks approximates the height of Mount Denali in Alaska. This hiking weekend will propose the challenge of hiking all of these peaks in one weekend.
The weekend will be filled with intense hiking for some, but will also include talks by hiking heroes, time for socializing, hikes for families with kids, games and entertainment.
The ultimate challenge is to hike the 5 peaks equaling 20000’ (Denali is at 20328’) and claiming the title of “Alive After Five”.
This event is FREE* and everyone is welcome. Whether you're an experienced hiker looking to master all 5 peaks, or just looking to join in on the fun, there is something to fit all ability levels and ages.
*Small fee charged for hiker cookout and event t-shirt.
Hikes can be done on Sat and Sunday, but hikers can choose to get one of the mountains out of the way on Friday. We encourage a warm up hike Friday to one of the many scenic peaks in Waterville Valley.
- Welcome Hikers Reception* (Corcoran Pond Beach) – 5-9pm
- Endless Summer Beach Bash (Corcoran Pond Beach) – 5:30-7:30pm
- Hikers meet up (Corcoran Pond Beach) - 8pm
- Campfire (Corcoran Pond Beach) – 7-9pm
- Hikers bag two or three more peaks
- Info Booth Opens - 8am
- Guided family hike to Goodrich Rock – 10am
- Climbing Wall at Town Recreation Center – 2-4pm
- Rey center staff available for conservation talk on Welch Ledge
- Afternoon and evening entertainment in the Town Square - 5:30-8:30pm
- Saturday Night Dinner on own.
- Guided hike to Welch Ledge – 10am
- Alive after Five hikers bag two or three more peaks - 3pm
- Hikers cook-out* and prizes 3pm sponsored by: Woodstock Inn’s 4000’ Footer Beer
*Here the Alive After Five hikers will be honored.
To register and to book your stay, please call 1-800-GO-VALLEY.